Saffron Noodle Cake...which wasn't saffron at all.

Kingston makes me crazy. I'm sorry but it does. For those of you who live here have you ever tried to shop here? GRRR! Shopping in Kingston makes me crazy. It is so incredibly hard to find anything here. I'm not trying to knock Kingston really, but the small size of Kingston. I need to have better shopping choices, and not just for a perfect pair of jeans but also for spices. 

Right now I'm dreaming about 34 Avenue in Edmonton. I'm even dreaming about it despite the 4 feet of snow they still have there. Looking for cheap fabric? Head to 34 Avenue. Looking for fun, great, sparkly accessories (and I don't mean rhinestone encrusted)? Head to 34 Avenue. Looking for fresh spices? Head to 34 Avenue. Although, I'm pretty sure that Saffron Threads would have been more readily available anywhere in 'The Capital' (where by the way it is snowing right now).

Now, don't get me wrong; there are lots of fabulous things that I love about Kingston. The weather, the water and great friends to name a few, but trying to buy anything here makes me want to pull out my hair. 

So, the noodle cakes are missing the saffron. 

But actually that is okay because I don't think you need them!

This meal was fun. Nigel had two helpings and simply because it was called 'cake'. He wanted to add sprinkles.
I should have let him. 

I am going to post the original recipe but I want you all to know that you can have so much fun with this meal. I followed the recipe (sort of) and it was good but as we were eating it I kept thinking of all the things I could have done to make it even better. 

I think you should try this one. Add things that your family loves and get back to me on the reaction. Let's get creative.



I know what you are thinking..."What is this???""

Saffron Noodle Cake
(I've discovered a problem with trying new recipes. You find the ones you love and then you no longer need to get new recipes. And though I've been making new things like this Noodle Cake I want you all to know that we have been eating some of our *favorites*. I mean, how can I ignore the Teeney Weeney Beany Burritos  and the Sweet Potato Fries?)

This recipe came from the book "Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone" by Deborah Madison. This book is a monster. It has won a couple of Julia Child cookbook awards and while it is seriously lacking in the pictures section (yes I read kids books all day) I have been loving everything about it.

 Onto the recipe now...promise.

2 TBSP of Olive Oil
2 pinches of Saffron Threads (I just found out you can find these at Loblaws, but I found out too late)

Warm the oil in a small metal (really? they come in metal?) measuring cup, add the saffron and set aside. (I didn't do this because of course there was no saffron at my house)

8 oz of Saffron Pasta, Linguine, or Spaghettini (I used Spaghettini)

Cook until al dente.

Salt and Pepper
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of Parmesan (oops, I ran out so I just skipped this)
1 bunch of Scallions, including and inch of the greens finely sliced
1/2 cup of chopped Parsley (I know, this seems like a lot. I couldn't get myself to add this much because I had dried but I'm sure they are talking about fresh which then probably wouldn't seem like so much)
1/3 cup of Basil or Marjoram

Combine the above ingredients. 
(Now this is where I want you to get creative! After cooking this I realized that I should have treated this more like an omelet and we would have enjoyed the end result much more. I would have added mushrooms, spinach, lots of grated cheese, maybe some red peppers or really whatever I had in my fridge. So that is what I want you to do when you make this. Add whatever your family likes in their omelets and this should be a HUGE success

Once your pasta is cooked; drain, rinse in cold water and shake dry (huh?) Combine the cooked pasta with your eggs and whatever else you have chosen to add. The best way to do this is with your hands. You heard me - love up that pasta (thanks Christina). Now we get to turn this into cake. 

Heat 1 TBSP of butter in an 8-10 inch nonstick skillet. Add the pasta, pat it down and even the edges. Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the bottom is brown. Turn the cake out onto a plate, add another TBSP of butter to the pan and slide the cake back in and cook the other side ofr the same amount of time. 

Cut into wedges and Serve. 




This meal would be great to do with leftover pasta. I often have too much and so instead of adding the tomato sauce to the whole whack of it, just spoon the sauce onto each plate so that if there are leftovers you can give this a try. 

The kids loved it and it was really fun to eat.

Click Here



No comments:

Post a Comment