Pizza Pizza Thick Tomato Paste...

I have this hilarious memory of myself and a bunch of friends when we were younger, maybe 10 or 11 singing a pizza song for some church talent show or something. I can still see this one girl in my mind, she had such enthusiastic actions as we rocked out on stage. Whenever I eat pizza this song goes through my head:

"Pizza pizza thick tomato paste. Lotza mozza all over your face. So hurry up and slice it up there's not a minute more to waste, with 27 toppings you can't miss a single taste"

I want you all to know that I do realize that I've been a slacker on the veggie meals front. Yes, I've posted some snacks and side dishes but we can all make those. I've been looking for some new recipes and am pleased to announce there will be some good ones coming in the future. I have a couple of new cookbooks Ive borrowed from the local library (my favorite building on earth) and I'm looking forward to trying out some recipes. 

This recipe came from a cook book from my own stash. The title is "Claire's Classic American Vegetarian Cooking". I got this free from someone who had posted online that they were giving it away to the first person to respond. I was the first person. And it is actually a great cookbook; simple recipes, meal plans and the font that is used for the recipe headings makes me smile every time. 

Last night I was trying to decide what to make for dinner (yup, you caught me, I didn't meal plan this week again) and I had to stop and think about what I had. Normally I meal plan then shop based on that so I had to find something to make with what I had. This is what I came up with. I didn't follow the recipe much but used it as a guide I guess. I LOVED this pizza. So good. Made it to favorites. 

Spinach, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Pizzas



6-7 8" Greek Pita Breads (I was planning on using these because I usually have some in my freezer but of course last night I didn't. I ended up making my own pizza dough instead. You can find the recipe here)
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
5 cloves of Garlic (when I saw that this recipe called for 5 cloves of garlic I was thrilled. Garlic makes me happy even with the killer breath)
2 large ripe Tomatoes, finely chopped (I had no fresh tomatoes so I used a can of diced and it worked fine)
Salt and Pepper
2 10oz bags of spinach, well washed and finely chopped (I only had frozen but again it worked great)
5-6 oz of Goat Cheese, crumbled. (improvising again. I used feta and I don't think I would change it)
*I also used about 1/2 a cup of Grated Marble Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange pita bread in a single layer on a cookie sheet (or roll out your pizza dough on a pizza stone). Set aside.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cool 3-4 minutes until soften. Stir in the tomatoes (since i used canned tomatoes I drained them of most of the juice before adding them to my pan).

Add spinach. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.



Using a slotted spoon spread spinach and tomato mixture onto pitas (or pizza dough). Scatter goat cheese (and marble) over the pizzas and bake for 10-12 minutes (or 25-30 if you are using pizza dough that also needs baking). Serve. 


Like I said; we LOVED this. Hazel took leftovers to school for lunch and ate them cold. If I had of had Greek Pita bread this would have been a fast and yummy dinner. Mmmmm, I'm not sure how long I can wait before we have this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment