Polenta Take 2: Airplanes, Ice Cream Sailboats and Love

Since I tried Polenta Pizza I've been dying to try it again. Aaron loved the last polenta recipe I posted but the kids really didn't love is so much. I wasn't convinced that they didn't like it at all, I figured I needed to try to win them over again because it is such a easy yummy thing to make. So I started thinking of ways to make it looks more fun so that they would try more of it and then love it

What did I come up with? Airplanes, ice cream, sailboats and a little love.




Last time I made polenta I turned it into pizza but I had preferred it just plain. I talked to a vegan friend who makes polenta all the time but she adds tons of different stuff to it (read: chopped veggies, beans, etc). Because I wanted to make it more appealing to the kidlets I didn't think that was the best fit for us (though it may be fun for you to try if you wanted to). I decided to make only 1/2 the recipe and just make it plain and keep it simple but use cookie cutters to make it fun. Well it worked. The kids were so excited to eat their shapes and they couldn't wait to sit down to dinner when Aaron walked in the door. 

Polenta 

6 cups of Water
2 cups of Yellow Cornmeal
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese

Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Pour the cornmeal in slowly, stirring constantly. Add Salt and Butter. Cook on low heat from 20-30 minutes, stirring often. The Polenta should be thick but smooth and soft. 
 Poured it into a Parchment Paper lined cookie sheet and set it outside to cool.
Use your child's (or spouse's; see the sailboat) favorite cookie cutter and watch them smile!



2 comments: