Scratch Oatmeal Pancakes are soooooo Good!

I am not a pancake person. Or a hotcake, flapjack, free breakfast at the rodeo grounds kind of girl. I'd rather stay home then stand in line for 2 hours to eat soggy pancakes. I guess it can be fun if you are meeting up with friends but I think it would be better if they were serving something else that I didn't have to pay for, like Mini Wheats. 

We grew up on pancakes. Which I loved for a long time. I think I was in grade 9 when my mom decided to make pancakes everyday and that is the year I got sick of them. Okay, maybe she didn't make them everyday but it sure seemed like it. 
I remember when she decided we had to eat pancakes all week, she made the choice because we were eating so much cereal and it was costing way too much. (I'd like to blame my brothers n this one but as you all read it above, I like cereal. Even plain Cheerios) So we ate pancakes. Or as I remember it, nothing.

Fast forward 10 years. I'm living in Kingston, still not eating pancakes. Well, not often and not in my kitchen. Until the fateful day that I picked this recipe up at a baby sale. The sale had all kinds of vendors; about a million RESP guys, photographers, handmade toys, slings, crafts and even a lonely dentist. Which was actually a good idea because they were giving out tiny toothbrushes, and also "smile-licious" recipes. I picked up 1 of every recipe card there even though I'm pretty sure that we were only supposed to pick up one. 
And thank goodness I did because I found an amazing pancake recipe that even my mom loved. 

Oatmeal Pancakes
(Make these pancakes in your full sized blender. Make sure you put the liquid ingredients in first.)

Heat your lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. 
While warming up, mix the following ingredients:

2 Eggs
4 TBSP of Vegetable Oil
2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cup of Buttermilk (if you don't have any buttermilk you can use milk with 1 1/2 tsp of vinegar to make it go sour. I know it sounds gross but it works. Or you could just use regular milk)
1 tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Baking Soda
2 tsp of Baking Powder
2 Tbsp of White Sugar (I don't add this and they are still so delicious. The oatmeal is sweet enough without the extra white stuff)
1 cup of Quick Cooking Oats
1 cup of Flour

Blend until smooth.


Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle. 


When top of the batter looks 'dry' flip. When both sides are cooked serve hot and eat!










No comments:

Post a Comment