Sweet and Spicy! Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos


Okay guys, when you look at the ingredients for this one you may wonder what I'm getting you into... 
I was wondering the same thing. A friend emailed me this recipe a little while back and I was immediately intrigued. I had never come across a burrito recipe with sweet potato. We eat a lot of sweet potatoes (you know, for the twins) and so I was excited to see a new sweet potato recipe. I didn't really look at the list of ingredients though until I was preparing this last night and I questioned myself and the recipe the entire time. What was I making???

But, something must have been right because as you can all see this made it into our *favorite* category. Good sign for all of you. 

 This is wonderful mix of sweet and spicy, hot flavors. Follow the recipe just as it says. Don't skimp on your spices, I did because I was worried about the meal being to spicy for my kids tastes, but when we were all sitting down eating it I regretted it. The Sweet Potato is sweet and had I added the correct amount of spices the hit of flavors would have been even better than it was muted. 

Give this one a try. It may seem odd but was really yummy. Hazel actually ate twice as much as Aaron and I. Literally


Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos 
Bean Mixture

½ tablespoon vegetable oil 

½ large sweet onion, chopped 

1 cloves garlic, minced 

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed 
1 cup water 
1 tablespoon chili powder (remember, add the spices as the recipe calls)
1 teaspoons ground cumin 
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 
2 tablespoons soy sauce 



Sweet Potato Mixture 

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks

1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed and chopped finely, or ½ tsp chipotle powder (powder is far less spicy) (I used the powder)

½ tsp dried coriander 

8 (6 inch) corn tortillas (I used just regular wheat wraps)

½ cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (I had cheddar so that is what I used)


To make sweet potato mixture: 
Place the chunks of sweet potato in a pot and cover with water; boil until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain well; add the chili and coriander, and mash with a potato masher until well-combined. Set aside. 


To make bean mixture:
Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about five minutes. Add the beans and all remaining seasonings, stir well, bring to a boil and them simmer for about 20 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Mash some of the beans with a potato masher halfway through the cooking time to give a thick texture. 

Preheat the oven to 350 F. 

Heat the tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave to soften. 
Spread 2-3 tablespoons of sweet potato in a line onto the center of a tortilla, then top with a similar amount of bean mixture. 
Roll up but do not seal ends. Place, seam-side down in a 9”x13” baking pan sprayed lightly with oil.(Parchment paper for me
 Repeat with remaining tortillas, lining them all up tightly side by side in the pan. 
Sprinkle burritos with cheese. 
Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly crisped. 

Serve with sour cream and salsa to taste. Serves 4 generously. (we only ate half of the pan, the potato was so filling)
such runny salsa, weird



No comments:

Post a Comment