Love Black Bean Quesadillas

I know that I have gushed about how great the Canadian Living 'tested till perfect' recipes are but I must do it once again. I LOVE the Canadian Living Tested Till Perfect Recipes. Love them. 
They always turn out perfect, and that is exactly what I need. 

Monday evenings I go to school. Just one class a week. Its great, but it starts at 5pm. Really, the timing is perfect, I get to miss bedtime and its early enough that I have time to not only workout after but to sit in the sauna and still get out of the gym and home by 8:30pm. Great right? Yes, except for the rush of getting Hazel off the bus, my school books ready, gym bag packed and dinner on the table before I have to leave at 4:45. 

This really shouldn't be such a rush though. I'm a seasoned Meal Planner. I have long since found the value in knowing not only what we are eating every night but also exactly what groceries need to be bought each week. 
But for some reason this week I failed at sitting down and meal planning. I have no idea why but Monday came around and at 4pm I didn't know what I was going to make yet...So I visited Canadian Living, searched "Black Beans" (I knew I had some) and went from there. There were over 150 pages of black bean tested till perfect recipes. Awesome


Black Bean Quesadillas


    2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
    1 chopped onion
    1 diced sweet green pepper
    1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder (why do I never have any of this? I used a shake of Crushed Red Pepper instead)
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin (Ewww. Substituted for 1/4tsp of Sage)
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
    1 can (19oz) black beans, drained and rinsed (I cooked a pile of these last week and froze them. It is an easy way to have fresh on hand)
    1 cup (250 mL) salsa
    1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels (I never have corn. I think that is because my mom ALWAYS has corn. Every Sunday. I just skipped adding this)
    4 large flour tortillas
    2 cups (500 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream, light (light? not around here)
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, green pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper until softened, about 8 minutes. Add black beans, salsa and corn; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.(Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until chilled. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
Evenly spoon bean mixture over half of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold uncovered half over top and press lightly. Place on large rimmed baking sheet; bake in 425°F (220°C) oven, turning once, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
These were easy, fast and yummy. I wasn't sure my kids would like them (I don't know why they wouldn't but I was worried). Aaron said they both "wolfed them down". 
Success


Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment