Enough sticky rice for everyone!

How do your kids feel about rice? Mine can take it or leave it. It mostly ends up ion my floor where I wait until the next day to sweep it up when its good and dry and crunchy. Much less work.

My sister is, or can be at times, a sticky rice girl. She has the fancy bamboo steamer and will make a batch just to eat. I must admit this is great fun.  

Have you ever had sticky rice? And by this I mean actual sticky rice and not just rice that is sticky? What's the difference? Sticky rice is a whole variety of rice altogether. It isn't just rice that was cooked in too much water and became a clump of rice glob which is of course very sticky. It sticks to itself but isn't messy. You can ball it up, dip it in sauce and have a nice little snack. It is so so good. And you don't have to wash your hands afterward. 

I've been wanting to get a bamboo sticky rice bowl for a few years now but never really think about it enough that I have gone to get one. Until today. I'm not sure what prompted it but I decided that today was our Sticky Rice Day. I went to a little Asian Grocery store and came out with a brand new bamboo steamer. 

It was SO fun to use and so easy. I steamed some Broccoli (which turned out perfect) and sticky rice at the same time. Lovely. The kids LOVED it. I let them eat it with their fingers and clump it into balls then pop it in their mouths. Hazel asked if she could have some in her lunch at school and Nigel ate every bite. 



This is a new favorite kitchen toy for me. And as for sticky rice? I think we will be eating a lot of it!


Steamed Sticky Rice


1 cup of Sticky Rice (aka Sweet Rice or Glutinous Rice)

Soak rice for at least 2 hours. Fill a wok or deep frying pan with water and boil on high. When water reaches a rolling boil turn down to low-med. low. Place bamboo steamer in the water for 15-20 minutes or until rice is  translucent. Remove steamer from water. Serve.

(You can also make this without a bamboo steamer; I'm just a sucker for cool kitchen gadgets. If you have a steamer stock pot that will be fine. Place a layer of cheese cloth, lettuce, wax paper or something on the bottom. This is to keep the rice from falling through. Place soaked rice in the pot. Place pot on the base of boiling water. Steam until translucent. Easy.)

Click Here




No comments:

Post a Comment