Polenta Pizza (Sing It!)

I have this fabulous vegan friend who can cook. And I mean cook. She is always throwing things together and they seem to always (well, when I've been there) to be delicious. She actually inspired me to start Veggies for Me and Veggies for You. She also makes me want to be able to do that too; just makes something delicious out of nothing.

So, I did something last night that I have never done before. I invented a recipe.  If that is what you call it.

Have you ever had Polenta? Let me tell you a little bit about it. According to Wikipedia:

 "Polenta is a dish made from boiled cornmeal. The word "polenta" is borrowed from Italian."

I know. Sounds Revolting. But actually it is SO fun and good. Sort of like Cornbread, and who doesn't like cornbread?  My sister sent me a recipe for Polenta this past fall. She wrote a little note on it that read: "Have you ever tried Polenta? I love the texture...It is just so yummy"
I've been wanting to try it ever since. The Recipe for Polenta is easy, and then I took some ideas from another recipe for the topping and turned it into "Polenta Pizza" (Aaron named this dish for me).

Aaron LOVED it. He told me it was "awesome", "perfect", "great". But was it a success? Aaron and I enjoyed it but the kids wouldn't touch it and instead of eating it (and they are not usually picky eaters) they each had 2-3 servings of salad. Maybe this is one I save for the adults. These little pizza's would be great finger food for a dinner party, or maybe even while watching the big game. 


Polenta Pizza

6 cups of Water
2 cups of Yellow Cornmeal
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese

Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Pour the cornmeal in slowly, stirring constantly. Add Salt and Butter. Cook on low heat from 20-30 minutes, stirring often. The Polenta should be thick but smooth and soft. 
 Poured it into a Parchment Paper lined cookie sheet and set it outside to cool.

1 tsp of Garlic
1/2 a Zucchini,thinly sliced
1 cup of Sliced Mushrooms
1 can of Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1/2 cup of Mozzarella Cheese

Saute the Garlic, Zucchini, and Mushrooms until soft (you can add any other veggies you want here). Add the diced Tomatoes. If you want to add some spices, do it now!

By now the Polenta should be cooled. Bring it in a slice it into pieces. (When it is cooled it "forms" the shape of the dish it was cooled in. You can pick it up with your fingers now) In a separate frying pan brown each side of the Polenta. Remove from pan and place back onto your cookie sheet. Top with your veggies and a little Mozzarella Cheese. Throw into the Oven and Broil until the cheese is melted. Serve and Enjoy!

I know it sounded like a lot of steps, but this is actually a very simple meal, just give yourself time to let the Polenta cook and cool. Happy Polenta Eating!





2 comments:

  1. These look so good-I am going to try em for a starter in the Chalet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt, How was the reception of the Polenta Pizza at the Chalet?

    ReplyDelete