Vegetarian Lasagna Gone Wrong. But Just Slightly.

First of all, what does everyone think of President Choice cheese. I learned this past week that it is AWFUL. Maybe I've just been spoiling myself with good cheese but I don't think that is it. You will see from my fabulous photography that the mozzarella on this lasagna that the cheese looks almost plasticy . As a house of cheese-lovers we were very unimpressed with the cheese in this dish. So, in other words; don't buy Presidents Choice cheese. Please.

Anyway, besides the look of the cheese on top, the lasagna was actually pretty good. Not my favorite though. This recipe was sent to me by my sister (who hadn't tried it yet at the time). The ingredients were calling my name for months and so last week when I was making my Weekly Meal Plan I thought I'd give it a try. 

The flavor turned out really good, not great but still yummy. The problem that I had with it was in the texture. I think it needed less Tofu and more Veggies. Next time I will double the veggie and perhaps cut the tofu in half and I think that should solve it. Everyone here ate it without complaint or much persuasion, well mostly everybody. We did have one small 5 year old who made some very lippy and bad choices last night which landed her to bed sans supper. But until the attitude came in she was happily chowing down. 

So here it is:


MEGA-VEGGIE LASAGNA

1 9oz package of oven-ready lasagna noodles
3 TBSP of Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
12 Oz of Unflavored soy ground "meat" I think now is a good time to let you all know my opinion on "meat" products like these. I don't like them. I feel that if you are choosing a vegetation option for your meal, choose vegetarian all the way, even in appearance. And if you are a non-meat eater why are you eating meat flavored products. I know this one is unflavored but in general. I don't get it. If a recipe I am using calls for a "meat alternative" I use tofu. In this case I used frozen tofu and crumbled it.
sorry for going on and on.
1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
1 Eggplant, skin on and cubed
1 large Tomato, Chopped (I just realized I missed the tomato...oops)
1 cup of diced Mushrooms
1 TBSP of Garlic Powder
4 cups of Marinara Sauce or Spaghetti Sauce will work (I made my own marinara sauce you can get the recipe here)
1 TBSP Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 cups of Ricotta Cheese
Shredded Mozzarella (not PC brand please)

Directions:
1: Preheat Over to 400*F. Spray a nonstick 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray (I like PAM)

2: Smooth 1 cup Marinara Sauce over bottom of the pan. Lay down enough lasagna noodles to cover the bottom of the pan. (If precooking your noodles, make sure you do that first.)

3: Heat 2 TBSP of Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium heat and brown your onions for about 1 minute. Add the soy ground "meat" (or crumbled tofu) and saute for 3 minutes. Add the Bell Pepper, Eggplant, Tomato, Mushrooms and 2 cups of Marinara Sauce, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in your spices.

4: Spoon half of the soy "meat" (yes, the recipe actually puts meat into quotations) and vegetables over the lasagna sheets and top with ricotta cheese. Cover with more noodles and spoon and smooth on the remaining Marinara Sauce. Spoon on smooth out the remaining "meat" and veggies; sprinkle with Mozzarella. Cover with foil (I sprayed mine with PAM on the inside so the cheese wouldn't all get stuck on the foil instead of staying on the lasagna).

5: Bake for about 45 Minutes (If you precook your noodles the cook can be cut in half) or until the top layer of cheese melts and bubbles. Remove from the oven. Serve.


So, though this recipe was good its wasn't AMAZING. I would love it if you would send me your best vegetarian lasagna recipe so I can try it out. Thanks!

Click Here


No comments:

Post a Comment