Avocado and Black Bean Wraps


My Husbands Grandmother has a subscription to Womens World  Magazine. I always flip through them while we are visiting. One afternoon I came across this recipe...We Love It.

So I prepared this last night. Our van had been in the shop for almost 2 weeks and grocery supplies we pathetically low. I had to compromise the recipe a lot. It turned out pretty good, a little bit bland but still yummy and super filling. 

Avocado and Black Bean Wraps

What you Need
    2 ripe avocados
    1 cup fresh or jarred salsa (I had about 3 TBSP of Salsa so I added Spaghetti Sauce to make up for it)
    2 tsp oil
    1 red pepper, chopped (No peppers left in the house so I used Onion and Celery)
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 tsp ground cumin 
    1 can (15 oz) low-sodium black beans, rinsed (I had cooked up a pile of Black Beans a couple weeks ago and froze them, so I used these instead)  1/3cup chopped cilantro (oops, none of this either. No wonder this turned out kind of bland)
    4 whole-wheat wraps
    4 cups coarsely chopped or shredded romaine lettuce (No lettuce either)

Recipe Preparation

    1. Remove pit and peel avocados. Coarsely chop 1 avocado; mash the other avocado in a small bowl and stir in 1/4 cup salsa until blended. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside. (I skip this step because I find its just extra work and doesn't change the flavor in the end. Its all about efficiency) 
    2. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté pepper(or onion and celery) and carrots 3 minutes. Add cumin and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add beans and remaining 3/4 cup salsa; heat through. Stir in the chopped avocado and cilantro (if you have it); mix well. 
    3. Spread about 3 Tbsp mashed avocado-salsa mixture on each wrap and top with 1 cup lettuce. Spoon 1 cup bean mixture over bottom third of wrap. Starting at bottom, roll up tightly. Place seam side down on serving platter. Serve with lime wedges. 
    *We added sour cream to our wraps last night. Like I said previously, They were pretty good. maybe 3.5 Stars. Ive made this exactly as the recipe calls as well and it is SO yummy. Try it tonight!
Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment