Minute Minestrone with Chickpeas

I love soup. I could and have eaten soup for weeks at a time. 
When I was in junior high I ate Sapporo Ichiban Noodles pretty much everyday for lunch. When I was pregnant with Nigel I ate Chicken Noodle Soup everyday for lunch (well, when I figured out I was pregnant with Nigel).
When I go out to eat I almost always order soup vs. salad. I love soup.

I have had this recipe for a long time and I have only just tired it this week. I am just sad that I have tried it now and not this past November so we could have been eating it all winter long. 

This soup was perfect. Restaurant quality.  Warm and cozy and yummy. Perfect comfort food. Perfect chilly spring day food. Perfect.

Minute Minestrone with Chickpeas 
(makes 4 servings)

1 tbsp of Olive Oil
1 chopped Onion
1 tbsp of finely chopped Garlic
1 Tomato
1 tbsp of Tomato Paste
2 cups of Chickpeas (canned or cooked) (You can replace the chickpeas with any other cooked legume)
3 cups of Vegetable Broth
3/4 cup small whole wheat pasta (I didn't use whole wheat, sorry)
2 tsp of Basil
1 tsp of Oregano
1/4 cup of fresh, chopped Parsley (okay, confession. I didn't use any of these above spices. I chose to give my soup 6 or so shakes of Mrs. Dash Original. It was awesome and I'm sure Mrs. Dash had a lot to do with it)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese

In a pot, heat oil over low heat and brown onion and garlic or 3 minutes or until the onion is transparent. 
Add the tomato and tomato paste, stirring constantly for 1 minute. 

Add the chickpeas and broth. Bring to a boil and add the pasta and spices (remember Mrs. Dash). Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is al dente.

Season with Salt and Pepper to taste (I hardly used any salt and no pepper) and garnish each serving with Parmesan.



I highly recommend this recipe. Serve it as a starter to company or make a batch and keep it all to your self. Maybe this is the only good thing about winter sticking around so late this year; more time to eat soup.

1 comment: