What happened to the Tofu??? Last Minute Stir-Fry

No, really? What happened to the tofu? This is driving me crazy! I always have tofu in the house. It is an easy way to 'beef up' (sorry, I had to say it) a meal. The last time I bought tofu I only used 1/2 of the package and I froze the rest to use in a stir-fry. Or I thought I did.

I made a lovely meal plan this week. It has a lovely mix of vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals. Friday I went and picked up all of the groceries I was going to need for the week and I even stayed well under my food budget for the week. I was feeling quite proud of myself...until Friday night.

I didn't have the main ingredient for my meal. That was because I chose to go to the wrong grocery store that didn't have a deli and couldn't pick up what I needed. I had realized this while shopping but obviously didn't think of what to replace the meal with. Oops.

So Friday night we ended up having frozen pizza. And then again Sunday because I had all of these yummy leftover plans with the meal I didn't buy. Good thing my guys like pizza. In fast last night when I still was off with my meal plan (what is the point of even making a meal plan if I don't follow it) and they were still asking for pizza:


 or begging. 

I didn't give in. Instead I remembered the tofu I had in the freezer and had a brilliant idea to have stir-fry. But then I couldn't find the tofu. Anywhere. I actually emptied both the fridge and freezer looking for it. It had disappeared. 

We still had stir-fry, just without the tofu.

We actually have stir-fry a lot. It is a great last minute meal when you don't know what else to make. You can throw whatever you want in it and serve it with a ton of different sauces. You can eat it with Couscous, Vermicelli Noodles, Quinoa, or Rice. Yum!


Last Minute Stir-Fry

The first step for me in making a stir-fry is choosing what I am going to eat it with. I love Vermicelli noodles. They take minutes to cook, and are fun to eat. The reason I say plan this first is that if you are eating rice or quinoa you need to get that cooking since they take a little bit of time. 

1 tbsp of Olive Oil
1/2 c EACH (or more if you have less veggies) of a variety of vegetables (Last night we had: Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms, Parsnips, Green Pepper, and that is all I think...)
1 cup of one or more of: Cubed or Crumbled Tofu or Beans (black bean for us last night)

Heat your pan and oil. Throw in your ingredients and stir-fry them up! Next you need a Sauce. 

Soy Sauce and a little cornstarch makes a great simple sauce. Add a little peanut butter and its so good. Have you ever thought of using your favorite salad dressing? Try it...so good!

Last night I had some Spicy Peanut Sauce in the fridge. I knew it would be too spicy for the kids so I added some water (to dilute the spice) and cornstarch (to thicken it up) to it . Add your sauce to your veggies, and when everything looks cooked and smells delicious then dish up your rice/quinoa/noodles/couscous, add your stir-fried veggies and eat up!


Usually this is a no-fail meal around here, no matter what I put in it.





 But sometimes there is a kid who just wants more pizza.


 At least he didn't cry or throw his bowl. He just sat there waiting for Aaron to come home so he could charm him into feeding him. And it worked.

Click Here





No comments:

Post a Comment