Lentil Soup for a Chilly Day with Quick Drop Baking Powder Biscuits

I am so sick of the weather in Kingston. One of the best things for me about living in Eastern Ontario is that the weather is generally wonderful. Especially when I am comparing it to the 8 month winters of Edmonton. Yesterday was sunny but not warm. It should have been but it wasn't. In fact it was down right chilly! The sun can only do so much when there is a cold wind blowing off the monster that is Lake Ontario. 

Yesterday was a busy one around here. We did some shopping, walking, had a lunch date with friends, headed home to do some laundry, and then swimming with the kidlets; all before dinner. By the time we arrived home we were all tired and hungry. We all headed straight for the kitchen ready to get to work. The kids had crayons, paper and rulers; everything they needed for their "homework" (why do kids rush into growing up by making up work for them to do?) I went straight for the refrigerator to see what I had.  A friend who was swimming with us told me I should make Lentil Soup but I wasn't sure that I had carrots, or onions or anything else that was needed. But guess what? I did! 

I am so glad that she recommended soup because it was just what we all needed to warm up on a chilly day.

Lentil Soup
(play with the ingredients, I just threw all of this together and had great results)

1 Can of Lentils rinsed
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp of Garlic
3 Carrots (or another root vegetable; parsnip, potato...)
2 cups of small Pasta (shells, egg, whatever)
2 tsp of Thyme 
4 cups of vegetable broth (if you don't have vegetable broth, any other kind would do)
Salt and Pepper

Use a little butter or olive oil and saute your onion and garlic in the bottom of a sauce pan. When it is soft add all of your other ingredients. Let everything simmer until your vegetables are soft and your pasta is cooked. How easy was that? Fast, yummy, and warm. 

Feel free to serve with Rawsome Kale Salad

Now while your soup is simmering lets make some super easy baking powder biscuits. We have always loved the biscuit but I didn't make them very often because they were messy to prepare, but then my mom sent me this recipe I was so glad because it was so much less work...you will see.


Quick Drop Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups of All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
1 tsp of Salt
1 cup of cold Buttermilk (you can add 1 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk so make it sour but I usually just use regular cold milk)
4 tbsp of butter (room temp)
1 tbsp of Sugar
(you can also add chopped onion to this, or grated cheddar cheese, or maybe ham and cheese for an easy to pack lunch)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. 
Lightly grease a baking sheet (or use parchment paper).

Okay, I'm going to give your the recipes directions but them I'm going to tell you to just ignore them if you want and do what I always do.

Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl (sifting not necessary). Add butter and milk to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (don't over work this batter!)

(Or, just dump everything into a bowl and go at it. Dry then wet? I never make them that way and they always turn out gorgeous)

Immediately drop onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart. (that is right, no rolling out the batter, just drop onto the pan)

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 


Serve warm with butter, or not, they are delicious with or without. 


Click Here for Lentil Soup
Click Here for Quick Drop Baking Powder  Biscuits





No comments:

Post a Comment