Happy Birthday: Gluten Free Cake

I love birthdays. And weddings. And really anything that will allow me to have or attend a party and eat delicious food and more importantly; dessert.

This past weekend we all headed to Calgary to celebrate my sister-in-laws birthday. This made me so happy because:

#1: it was just family and I'm still revelling in all of our family being so close


#2: my kids are the only kids (for a few more months) that were there so they get lots of love and kisses and attention from everyone but me (which means I get to actually sit back and enjoy myself)

#3: we only had to drive 1.5 hours to attend instead of having to drive 1.5 hours, fly 4 then drive another 30 minutes to get there.

Being home is so great.

But anyway, back to the party. It was a lot of fun and because though it was a party for a beautiful and successful and mature adult it was still filled with fun treats (aka homemade chocolates), fancy drinks (punch with puree'd fruit), and lots of pink (lots).

I wanted to do something special for the birthday girl so I offered to make her cake. Now, I'm no cake decorator; I spent hours trying to figure out which icing recipe to use, but this birthday girl eats Gluten-Free so I thought tackling a GF birthday cake would be a nice little treat for her since everyone is still sort of adjusting to her diet.

Making the cake was easy.

Decorating the cake was easy (surprise!).

But finding all of the ingredients in a new city without my favourite store near by (Bulk Barn where are you???) was a bit tricky.

I had to premix my own gluten free flour (though I could have bought pre-mixed I was going for the true 'baked from scratch' approach). Then add all of the other ingredients like a usual cake.
It turned out awesome. It wasn't too heavy, not too dry and overall great.

I got some great response from the birthday girl, another gluten-free party goer, and everyone else. The cake was a hit.

So, though this recipe was tricky for me to find the ingredients I blame that on me not knowing my new city well enough and the lack of my favourite store. No big deal. Once you have what you need this cake is fast and easy to make and I'd be happy to make another one next year.

Happy Birthday Toot.




Gluten Free Birthday Cake

Flour Mix

(I'm assuming you can use this flour mix in any recipe...I'm going to try to use it to make some muffins, I will let you know if it works)

1 cup corn starch

½ cup brown rice flour

½ cup white rice flour

1 cup potato starch

½ cup corn flour

½ cup tapioca starch

4 tsp xantham gum (I used Guam Gum since it was so much cheaper. So much)

Recipe

2 cups of above mix

4 eggs

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 cup butter

1 ¾ cups sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1 1/3 cups milk


Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside. In large bowl cream sugar and butter on medium high speed with mixer until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and eggs one at a time. Add flour and milk. Mix until smooth. Pour into cake pans and cook until bakes through.





No comments:

Post a Comment