Mango & Sweet Pepper Sauce (use on everything)

I live with a little bit of a foodie. Not crazy but he does like food and especially likes trying new foods which is good for me because I love trying new recipes. We do have our favorites (and this is now one of them) which I fall back on often but I like to pull out a new recipe at least once or twice a week. 

Some recipes are a total flop. Awful. Toss in the garbage and order pizza kind of bad. Not often though I'm happy to report. Usually they are pretty good, and sometimes perfect

This is one of those perfect recipes. I like it most because it has kept Aaron guessing every time I have used it (3x this week). I also like it because it is so versatile. It is meant as a grilling sauce for any type of meat but we have been eating it on all sorts of things and in all sorts of ways; on grilled meats, tofu, rice, and in wraps. Also, it was so easy to prepare and I love being able to make something like this from scratch since I know exactly what is in it (yup, I'm a little controlling about my food) He likes it because of the blend of flavours. He still doesn't know what is in it which is also fun for me because it is driving him a little bonkers. Maybe he will read this and learn something new. 



Mango & Sweet Pepper Sauce

1 ripe mango
1/2 of a small onion
1 sweet red pepper (I only had orange so my sauce is super orange and bright and fun!)
1 Tbsp of oil (I use olive)
2 Tbsp of white vinegar
Pinch of Salt

First, cut the mango into two long flat halves around the stone inside. Pull the two halves apart and discard the stone. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place into a blender (or...peel your mango then cut the flesh off on the stone and toss it in the blender. It really doesn't matter how you do it just get that mango in the blender)

Chop the onion and sweet red (or orange) pepper, and sauté over medium heat in your oil. Sauté until the onions and peppers are soft, about ten minutes.

Add these sautéed onions and peppers to the blender with the mango flesh and add your 2 Tbsp of vinegar.
Purée the mixture until smooth.

Add  salt and taste. You want the sauce to be sweet and tart and savory, without being noticeably salty. If you think it is a little bland, add another pinch of salt, and if you think it is too sweet, add a little more vinegar.(I didn't have to add anything else after it was blended together) Most mangoes are sweet enough already, but if your sauce tastes too sour, you can mix in a little sugar to sweeten it up. . Serve anywhere.


Remember, you can use this sauce for anything. It is so delicious and the mix of sweet and savoury is 
perfectly matched. I'd love to hear if this sauce is a hit at your house too! Happy cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment