Greek Food, Belly Dancers and Pizza

I used to spend a lot of time in a Greek restaurant. I had a good friend Chuck who's step dad owned a Greek restaurant in the community I grew up in . We used to go and eat, break plates, and sometimes some of us would get hit on by the belly dancers who worked there. Such fabulous fun times. It was during those times that I fell in love with Greek food. I want tzatziki just thinking about that. 

Anyway, lets get to the pizza part. I love pizza. I could eat pizza every week. I'm usually a pepperoni and mushroom kind of girl but when I was making pizza the other night I suddenly had a craving for Greek so I put it all together, and satisfied my need for feta.




Greek Pizza

Crust: 
Simple Scratch Pizza Dough

Mix: 
1/2 cup of Warm Water
1/2 tsp of Sugar
3 tsp of Instant Yeast

Add:
1 cup of Hot Water
1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1 tsp of Salt
Flour; enough to make a soft dough (about 3 1/2 cups) (I used whole wheat to give this pizza a healthy boost)

That is it, knead this all together and voila! you are ready to roll it out

Now time to add some Greek toppings:

I substituted tomato pizza sauce for tzatziki, threw on some tomato, onion, green pepper and feta. The only thing I was missing was spinach but even without the green stuff  this pizza turned out so good.   

 Okay, so bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through and then eat up!

*To make thick chewy crust: stretch dough to 1/2" thickness and let it rise slightly before baking.
*To make a thin, crisp crust: use cold dough, roll it to 1/4" and bake while the dough is still cold.





No comments:

Post a Comment