Moms Fluffy and Yummy Waffles

I love waffles. When we moved from Ontario back to Alberta we made sure that we booked hotels that had a breakfast included in the room price.

This was for a couple of reasons; first, so that we didn't have to try and find breakfast in 5 different cities, second, so we didn't have to budget any more meals in to our adventure and third, so I could eat waffles. Well, maybe that was just a bonus but often hotels with continental breakfast have a waffle maker. I ate waffles every morning I could. 

I have been wanting a waffle iron for a while but every time I would mention it to Aaron he would make some comment about how I didn't need more kitchen appliances, or where would I store a waffle iron? Those concerns meant nothing to me but I still never went and got myself one. This year though I think I must have mentioned it a little more often than usual because when his sister asked him what to get me for my birthday (the big 3-0!) he told her a waffle iron and guess what? She got me one! YAY!!!!

As soon as I could (as in as soon as I went and bought milk) we had waffles. My mom gave me her recipe that she swears in the best and I have to agree with her. 

What do you think?

Mom's Fluffy and Yummy Waffles

2 Eggs
2c of Milk (go buy some right now if you need to)
2c of All Purpose Flour
1 TBSP of Baking Powder
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/3c of Cooking Oil (I use Canola)
1 TBSP of White Sugar

Ok, these take a little bit of work but they are worth it.

Separate your eggs. 
Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.

Mix yolks with the remaining ingredients and then gently fold in your egg whites. 

Cook as directed for your waffle iron. 


Aaron informed me when I told him we were eating waffles for dinner that night that he didn't want to have plain old syrup on his waffles. Well, okay then! When I was growing up my mom would make waffles and my favorite way to eat them was with vanilla ice cream on top. It would get all soft and melty and be so delicious. Sometimes I would add strawberries or other fruit to the sweet meal but usually I stuck with just the ice cream. But of course I didn't have ice cream, so I got creative...

Hot Vanilla Syrup
2c of Milk
2 TBSP of White Sugar
2 tsp of Vanilla
2 tsp of Corn Starch

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and heat until it comes to a boil, stirring the whole time as milk can scorch.  Turn heat down and simmer until it reaches desired thickness. 


This was so yummy and subtle.  It was so good when it was also served with the strawberry syrup I made...

Fruit Syrup for Waffles of Pancakes

2c of frozen fruit (I made two kinds, strawberry and blueberry)
1 TBSP of White Sugar (feel free to add more if you want your syrup sweeter)
2 TBSP of Corn Starch 

Follow the same directions as used for the vanilla syrup: 
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and heat until it comes to a boil, stirring often.  Turn heat down and simmer until it reaches desired thickness. 


I cooked my waffles while I was making these syrups and while it was a little crazy, it was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time! Thanks Chel!







No comments:

Post a Comment