I'm Ashamed (and Quinoa Greek Salad)

I know I said I was back before. But I unintentionally lied. Sorry. I really didn't mean to abandon you and myself because really, I started this blog originally for me to keep track of the vegetarian recipes that I had made. I've been thinking about getting back to blogging food for a while but the truth is that I really haven't been cooking the way that I did before we moved home. I have been in a bad food rut.

I think it began with the move and being in transition for so long between leaving Ontario and getting settled here at home and then I got pregnant with Simon which then ended in a c-section and then school started again and ballet and soccer and and and ... here we are.


But I really haven't meant to be such a food slacker or a food blogging slacker. I've actually been walking around saying things like "I want to have something to be passionate about" and "I used to have things that made me excited, what were they?" It sounds a little pathetic but then my vegetarian sister came to visit and I realized that I really like cooking vegetarian meals, and eating beans so I'm back! My life is a little nuts but honestly, I haven't stopped taking pictures of meatless dinners around here so I am going to actually get said pictures blogged and keep also get back to trying new recipes and getting them blogged here. So...here I go!

This is a recipe from back in the spring but that we eat often. 

I love Greek food. This love started in High School when I had a friend whose family had a Greek restaurant. We would meet there on the weekend, eat tzatziki and pita, break plates and then go on with our night. Oh, I'd love some tzatziki right now. 

Quinoa Greek Salad

I really don't have an exact recipe for this...

Cook 1cup of Quinoa (I cook mine in my rice cooker with water, not broth)

While it is cooking, chop up 
1/2 a cucumber
1 tomato
 and open a can of chickpeas or grab some precooked ones from your freezer (I cook my beans and legumes in large quantities and then freeze them in 1 cup portions).
You will also need
1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
1/2 of a red onion sliced 
and kalamata olives (which I often omit because I don't love 'em)
oh, and if you want some chopped green pepper, about 1/2 cup. 

ok, put all of these ingredients into a bowl (a large bowl).

Now it is time to make some dressing.

3 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 TBSP of Lemon Juice
1 clove of Garlic or 1 tsp of Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp of dried Oregano
1/4 tsp of Sea Salt (I love sea salt and even was able to visit an island in France to see how it is harvested)
1/4 tsp of Black Pepper (fresh is best)

Whisk these ingredients all together until completely mixed . You can also shake them up in a tightly closed container which could be a fun job if you want to involve your kids in making meals. 
Pour your dressing over your vegetables and Quinoa and serve. I have used this as a side before and also served it as a main meal by eating it in wraps with lettuce and tzatziki sauce which is my favorite way to enjoy it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment