Mom's Bread Recipe, and yes, I mean MY mom's bread recipe.

Mom's bread.
 I know that a lot of you are suddenly drooling over the memory of my Mom's white bread but sadly, that is NOT the bread recipe I'm sharing today. 

But honestly, it is just as good or better. I think its better, in case you were wondering. 

When we were living in Kingston I tried to make my Mom's bread and it never worked great so one day we had a Skype date bread making party and that was that. You would think that I would have been a natural since my Mom made bread literally every week my entire childhood but the only thing that came natural to me was coming home and eating half a loaf of with home made honey butter while I watched Full House. 

I got pretty good at making bread in Kingston and as I said before, I made it regularly but then we moved back home and I COULD NOT make bread. Well, I tried but it never turned out. I was sad.  I finally told my Mom that I was a bread making failure and she saved me! She brought me some yeast from the Bosch Kitchen Centre in Edmonton and it made all the difference. I couldn't believe it. 

This week I pulled out my 'Mom Recipe' and tried again and it turned out better than ever before. I think this goes to show that fresh ingredients are best. My Mom has had lots of problems buying yeast from grocery stores because it doesn't last and now I've learned my lesson! Oh, and she said the yeast she bought at the Bosch Kitchen Centre is a better price too. 

Now, onto the good stuff...

Mom's Most Delicious Bread
 (according to moi!)

(Also, I have a Bosch and so this recipe and directions are using a mixer with a bread hook. Also, if you try this with a Kitchen Aid you will NOT be able to make this large of a recipe so cut it in half!)

***This recipe makes 6-7 loaves of bread

Start with 1 cup of Warm Water
3 TBSP of White Sugar
3 TBSP of Yeast (the good yeast)

Dissolve the sugar in the warm water then add the yeast. Let the yeast sit and 'grow' in the water for a couple of minutes. When it is frothy (I guess is the word you should use) toss it into the mixing bowl.

Add 6 more cups of Water (I still use warm
and 4 - 6 cups of Whole Wheat Flour and mix.

Add 1 cup of Quick Cooking Oatmeal (I actually double this but I'm giving you my Mom's recipe)
1/2 cup of Ground Flax
1 cup of Sunflower Seeds (I love textured and seedy bread best)
1/2 cup of Vegetable Oil
1 TBSP of Salt
1 Egg

Mix. And then add more flour, as much as needed. About 10 - 12 cups.  (I use White and so does my mom at this point because it holds together well.)

This is a tricky part if you have never made bread before. You don't want to add too much flour but if you don't add enough then it won't work either. If you add too much flour then your bread will be really heavy.

 At this point when you are adding flour add it until it is "dough-like" and pulling from the sides of the bowl but don't add so much flour that it isn't sticky any more. Get it?

At this point, let your bread rise 15 minutes.


I forgot about mine and left it for probably 45 minutes and it got a little large...

At this point put a little oil on your counter, get your dough out of the bowl and play with it a little bit. Separate it into 6 - 7 'chunks' of dough. (I use a serrated knife to divide mine). Play with it for a while (important so you get the air bubbles out of it) and shape it into loaves and put it into greased loaf pans. 

Let it rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size and then bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until it is brown and your whole house smells AMAZING.

When you take your bread out of the oven I like to take my loaves out of the pans right away but if you try to get it out and the bread won't budge then just walk away. The bread will steam itself out of the pan and when it is cool it will just fall right out of the pans when you try.

Eat Hot and with butter or our favorite: Honey Butter...

Just whip equal parts butter and honey and it is honestly WAYYYYYY better than buttering your bread then spreading honey on it. Promise

And sorry, I have no pictures of my bread! I'm terrible! But instead, how about one of my Mom?


She might kill me for posting this picture on here but too bad! Love you Mom!!!!

Click Here





1 comment:

  1. mmmm! Love homemade bread! I make mine as well and agree that there is nothing better than the whole house smelling like fresh bread!

    ReplyDelete