I'm back...and I hope for good!



I'm really sorry.

I have been so bad at posting since moving this past summer that it is pathetic. To be honest, I have not only been bad at posting but I've been torrible (Hazels word for completely awful, she mixed 'horrible' and 'terrible' and I think its quite genius) and even cooking. I have plenty of excuses. I drive everyone in my family around like crazy. That is my main excuse. And the sad thing is that back in Ontario even when I had no time I still found time to cook but here I have had a really hard time trying to get into any routine at all that involves cooking.

Don't worry, I spend plenty of time in my kitchen but it feels so much less like something I love even though I'm in a way more efficient kitchen and it should be. I just need to get myself into a routine and everything else will fall into place.

And this is starting to happen which is maybe why tonight I was able to whip up a fabulous (though I used some cheating ingredient) vegetarian meal that EVERYONE loved and was perfect for a minus bazillion degree winter night.


Kaycee's Ravioli Casserole

Ok, I first have to again admit...I used cheat ingredients for me. I used a packaged sauce mix and that feels like a cheat. sorry... :(

2 packages of fresh (but frozen) vegetarian Ravioli. Ours was stuffed with spinach and cheese. YUM!
1 package of Knorr Parma-Rosa pasta sauce
Fresh Broccoli
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Bread Crumbs

So, since I only had a few minutes between getting Hazel off the bus and leaving to pick Aaron up at work I had to think about how I was going to have dinner ready when I got back. I knew I wanted to do Ravioli with Parma Rosa Pasta sauce but I also knew if I made the pasta before I left it would be dry and really not as good as if I just made it right before I put it on the table. I also knew I was already hungry and that I needed to have dinner ready when we walked in the door so I couldn't even make the sauce ahead and then do the 5 minute pasta...so, what to do.

Quite a predicament.

Ok, so this is what I did and it turned out to be delicious and such a perfect dish for a cold winter night. Comfort food.

Put the frozen pasta into a baking dish.
Cut up your raw broccoli into bite sized pieces and add it to the baking dish.

Prepare your sauce mix according to the direction on the package EXCEPT add an extra cup of milk.

Once the sauce is ready pour it over the pasta and broccoli. Cover the top with grated cheese followed by a sprinkling of bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.

Serve immediately with a side of salad.

Now, as a side note. I know that this is not the cheapest meal but I lucked out at the grocery store last week. I went to get some fresh pasta and there was a whole pile on 50% off because they were at their expiry date. I bought them all and threw them into my freezer. Look for deals like this, they are most likely to be found if you can get to the store first thing in the morning. Good Luck!

And please send me your recipes so I can continue to get back to cooking good food to share with you!




1 comment:

  1. Sad, I can't make my orange words stay orange! Annoying!

    ReplyDelete