Seconds Please! A New Favorite: Hearty Quinoa & Bean Soup


I love soup. I know you all know this but I really love soup. Soup is one of the best redeeming things about The Fall. I always love trying new soups and so when I received an email for this recipe from Chatelaine a couple of weeks ago ago and I couldn't wait to try it.

But I had to.

I didn't have a couple of the main ingredients so I finally went shopping and I'm so glad that I did.

This soup was delicious! Aaron wasn't in love with it first but was eating it up by the end. The kids didn't love or hate it so that is a good thing right? And let me just add that when I say its a new favorite, I mean its a new favorite for me.

I'm so glad there are leftovers!

Hearty Quinoa & Bean Soup

1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil (I used Olive, as usual)
1 chopped Onion
1 diced Carrot
2 cloves of Garlic (or 2 tsp of minced garlic)
1 tsp of Cumin (which I missed somehow...)
1/3 cup of dry Quinoa (I thought 1/3 wasn't enough so I used 1/2 cup. That was too much. stick with 1/3)
1 tsp of Coriander
2 cups of Vegetable Broth (I used Chicken because that is what I had)
2 cups of Water
1 can of White Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed (I used Red because that is what I had as I wanted some more color)
2 cups of Baby Spinach (How did I forget to buy spinach?!?! I used Broccoli and it was still great)

Heat a large saucepan over medium.

Add oil, then onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min.
Add carrot, garlic, cumin, coriander and quinoa.

Cook for 2 more min. Pour in broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, until quinoa is cooked, about 15 more min.

Stir in beans and spinach (or broccoli). Cook until beans are hot and spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 more min.


Serve immediately with warm whole wheat buns and a nice kale and romaine salad.
  • Prep Tip:

    No need to chop the spinach . Just toss it into the simmering soup and it wilts perfectly.



No comments:

Post a Comment